Shock and Fire Prevention – AFCI and GFCI Breakers and Receptacles

iStock_final_securefamly-blue-300x199The safety of you and your family very seriously. Let our friendly service professionals install new arc fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs) and ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) to help prevent electrical hazards like shock and fire in your home today. Give Integrity Electric a call to make an appointment that makes a difference! Get the protection you and your family deserve.

An AFCI can detect arc faults from normal current flow and stop the transfer of electricity to help prevent electrical fires.

Rest easy tonight….

Safeguard against potentially traumatic electrical fires, shock injuries and electrocution with AFCI and GFCI protection.

At Integrity Electric we take you and your family’s safety seriously, and we want to make sure that your home or business is protected from electrical hazards. Call Integrity Electric for an appointment today!

Is my home safe from electrical hazards?

Electrical hazards that can lead to serious injury often go undetected because electricity occurs silently behind the scenes. According to U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) during 2008–2010, an estimated annual average of 10,500 fires was attributable to electrical distribution system components (e.g., installed wiring, lighting). This corresponds to 2.9 percent of the estimated annual average number of total residential fires for the same time period. The annual average death estimate is 170 (7.2 percent of average annual estimated number of total residential fire deaths); the injury estimates averaged 480, which is 3.8 percent of the estimated annual average of total residential fire injuries Many of these involve items you unconsciously use every day. It is important to recognize hazards before they cause a serious injury, disability or fatality.

Are you at risk of being electrocuted?

Electrocution occurs when the body provides the most direct pathway for electric current to reach the ground. If a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) is installed in the home, electrocution can be prevented. A detects any change in electric current and abruptly switches off the power before electrocution can occur. Not only are GFCIs a great way to protect you from potential electrocution, the National Electrical Code requires GFCI protection for all outdoor 120 volt receptacles, bathroom receptacle circuits, garage wall and ceiling outlets, kitchen receptacles, and ALL receptacles in crawl spaces and unfinished basements. Is your home protected with GFCIs?GFCI.DEMO

Could an electrical fire take place in your home?

The CPSC estimates that annually, over 165,000 fires are caused by faulty electrical wiring. Arcing faults are one of the major reasons for electrical fires. When an unwanted arc occurs, it generates high temperatures that often exceed 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit. This high-intensity heat may ignite surrounding material like wood or insulation, thus spreading fire quickly throughout your home.

An arcing fault is a dangerous electrical occurrence that are caused by loose connections, damaged, overheated, or stressed wiring, cables, or appliances. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development reports an absence of AFCIs as one of the three primary residential hazards associated with burns and fire-related injuries.

When a home is installed with AFCIs, they continuously monitor electric current flow and determine when there is unwanted arcing. Once unwanted arcing is detected, the AFCI trips the internal contacts and turns off the circuit, reducing the chances of an electrical fire.


What causes unwanted arc faults to occur?

  • Pinched or pierced insulation on construction wires or cords
  • Wires punctured by nails or screws when hanging things like pictures
  • A chair leg sitting on an extension cord
  • Cracked insulation on wire or cords from age, heat, chemical erosion or stress
  • Overheated wires and cords
  • Loose or improper connections
  • Frayed or ruptured extension cords or appliance cords
  • Electrical appliances that have damaged electrical parts
  • Moisture or contaminants between conductors of different voltage
  • Electrical wire insulation that has been chewed on by rodents